Sunday, September 5, 2010

Travis' First Day

In my excitement to post Travis' pictures, I forgot to add how he handled his first day... emotionally. So, for documentation, here is the run-down...

We entered his classroom together, hand in hand, and searched for his name among the cards on the attendance chart. He found it easily and turned it over. Then, we slowly and timidly made our way to the backpack area where another little boy was sobbing. My heart was hurting for him as he begged for his mommy.
Travis found his hook quickly and Mrs. Vincent came back to welcome us as Trav hung up his book bag. Mrs. Vincent took the lead in guiding Travis around the classroom for his daily school duties as I quickly and quietly knelt down for a lil kiss and hug good-bye. I watched my little angel as fear gripped his heart and tears welled up in his beautiful eyes. It took everything in me to not burst out in tears myself. I knew he was upset, but I assured him Mrs. Vincent would take good care of him and I would be back soon. I slipped out of the classroom knowing that my baby wanted me to stay. As soon as I got out the door, I couldn't stop my own tears. How hard it is to let our children grow up, especially when they need extra encouragement to let go of our hands.

The next hour went by quickly and I couldn't have been more excited to see Travis come through those doors! Mason and Austin were waiting with me, happy to see their brother again.
And then... there he was. My sweet, shy, loving little Travis looking content as can be, to wait in line with his friends. He came out, took my hand, and was seemed unfazed by the events of his first day of school. I was so proud of my boy... as I always am.

No comments:

Post a Comment