Saturday, September 4, 2010

One hour

If I had just one hour with Damian Marley... well it's inappropriate to say what images really run through my mind, but let's just say he is a brilliant, incredibly amazing man... and leave it at that.

If I had one hour with Mr. Marley, I would have so much to say, so much to ask. I want to discuss the Rastafarian movement with him. I want to know his personal beliefs and opinions. I am intrigued and curious. I want to know how he can truly believe that Haile Selassie is the second coming of Jesus Christ?
With all the truths and facts revealed, how can you still believe that Haile Selassie was divine? What do you believe to be true about the famine in Ethiopia and if Haile Selassie knew? How can you believe Ethiopia is Zion yet claim the divinity of the man who adamantly hid the famine and allowed for the painful deaths of so many Ethiopians, in order to preserve his reputation? I wonder if you would claim that the media distorted the reality of what was really going on in Ethiopia and thus caused the downfall of Haile Selassie? What do you believe about the apparent death of Haile Selassie?
I'm not being combative here, I'm genuinely curious what Mr. Marley would have to say.
Fundamentally, Damian Marley and I believe in the same things. Incredibly, we have a lot in common. I absolutely believe that the media does a disservice to society. How can the average man distinguish what is true unless he decides to research and determine the honesty of each individual media claim? And until your eyes are opened to the lies being shoved down your throat, you don't know that you should have been researching those claims in the first place. I get it. But it is our duty, and our RIGHT to decide for ourselves what is truth. Don't you dare let the media's stereotypes and vast generalizations be the only education you receive before choosing your path in this life. Please.

I also truly, deeply love Africa. I absolutely believe and appreciate that every man, regardless of skin color, culture, religion etc. came from Africa. It's particularly difficult to be white and hold this belief to be true. What this means for me is that although personally, I did not make the choices to deem people of color to be a lesser race and thus worthy of slavery, torture, and death, my ancestors did. Although I live every single day of my life, educating and fighting for the rights of other races, I will always feel shameful about my ancestry. That is hard. I actually can't believe I just let those words come to fruition on my monitor, but it needs to be said. Any white man who does not feel some shame about the mistakes (and mistakes is an understatement) of his ancestors, obviously doesn't understand the extent of what God's human beings had to endure at the hand of the white man. That said, today is a new day and a new opportunity to make good on those faults. Our hearts beat the same, our blood bleeds the same, and today we must unite to make a change.

Furthermore, though I do believe in the dishonesty of our media, I also think it is ignorant and damaging to suggest that the media's depiction of the lives of many, many Ethiopians in completely inaccurate. Many Ethiopians are, in fact, starving. And although I agree that the media never shows the amazing, incredible, beautiful aspects of Ethiopia's history, culture, and society, it is important for people to have their eyes opened to the devastation in the country, as well. Reform needs to start now for Ethiopia. Enough people have suffered and died. The rest of the world will never, ever be able to see the beauty that is Ethiopia if she does not save her own people first.
What I would give for the knowledge of how to start reform for Ethiopia...

So, Mr. Marley's lyrics are extensive, genius, and enlightening... but they are also limiting. The album, Distant Relatives, leaves me questioning him and wanting to know more. Brilliant?... absolutely. Frustrating?... absolutely. If I had just one hour with Damian Marley, we would have a lot to talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment