Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Sunshine on a cloudy day

Today, as I traveled down a familiar road, I saw an unfamiliar site.

I could never recall how many times I have driven down this road. The number is far too great to remember. I also can't recall how many times I have seen someone or something out of the ordinary, as living in my city is quite an adventure.

I have seen homeless people sleeping on park benches. I have seen prostitutes and drug dealers. I have seen gangs and fights. I have seen the projects and the people struggling to make their homes there. I have seen children wandering the streets in an areas unsafe for grown men. I have witnessed so many unfortunate scenes and sadly become slightly accustomed to it.

With that said, something about what I saw this morning made my heart skip a beat... made me stare a little longer... made me smile a little wider... made me pray a little harder. Now my eyes are welling up with tears =) This morning I was reminded that He is here. I am not alone. He is everywhere and knows me sooooooo well.

Today, in the distance, I saw a man walking. He seemed to have a disability. As I approached, I could see that his legs were very bowed. As I passed, I saw him walking on bilateral club feet. I saw his beautiful Asian features, but his smile stole my heart. He was walking with pride. He was walking with joy. I don't know how far he had come or how far he had to go, but I was cheering for him the whole way. On this rainy, gray day... this man eluded sunshine and as I appreciated his light, I felt Him in my heart.

I know that when I am strong, God is cheering me on and when I am weak, He is lifting me up. I felt Him today, lifting me up and reminding me that my goal is His and is on my heart, because He put it there. Thank you for the blessing of reassurance today... I sure needed it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my. Makes my heart hurt a bit, knowing he hadn't had a chance to have his feet corrected. Makes me think of my boys all grown up, if we hadn't been able to bring them home and have their feet casted.
    But it sounds like somehow, God was with him :)

    ReplyDelete